A good design course can help you a great deal in becoming a professional graphic designer. But, not everyone gets a chance to get themselves admitted to a good university. If you are one of them, you need not worry as you can still fulfill your dreams and come out with flying colors. You just need to have passion, the rest will follow on its own.
Is Design School Mandatory?
The debate regarding the importance of a design course never tires as many people harbor different opinions. For instance, some people think that to become a good designer the only thing that matters is your creativity. And creativity cannot be taught in any school as it only develops with time. On the other hand, many point out the importance of learning about the basics as creativity alone will not help.
A design course will teach you how to use your skills in a professional manner as the presentation part is also vital. It is especially important if you are planning to choose graphic design as your career option. A course will help you memorize every tool and theory that will help you in the long run.
Pitfalls of a Design School
Not everyone can afford to apply for a course in design as it is pretty expensive. Besides that, a design course will take up to four years to complete. So, everyone does not have the capacity to sustain for four years due to financial restraints. A lot of students start working the moment they attain the legal age as they need to be financially stable.
There is no need to get discouraged as there are other ways in which you can succeed. Here is a guide to help you become a successful designer without having to join a school. Take a look!
Starting from the basics
The most common mistake that most of the beginners make is that they skip the basics entirely. You need to understand that you cannot just jump straight to photoshop. There has to be a proper plan and you have to start from the beginning to learn better. Given below are some pointers that will help you understand how to kickstart your journey as a designer.
- First and foremost, learn to draw on paper. You can dedicate at least half an hour every day to drawing to speed up the process.
- Study graphic design theory which will clear all your basics. For instance, you will get an idea about typography, color and a lot more.
- You also need to get familiar with the user experience.
- Focus on learning about various attributes of text. You can think out of the box and come up with unique designs. Try to play with different font styles and create something different.
- Learn how to differentiate between a good and a bad design. If you feel like a design is not up to the mark, just get rid of it rather than wasting time improving it.
Now that you are aware of the basics of graphic design, it is time to learn about more complex things.
Getting Equipped with the Software
With the advent of the internet, the whole world has become digital and it is important that you keep pace with the growing world. Therefore, you should know how to work on a digital platform for which knowledge about various software is a prerequisite.
- Adobe Illustrator: It is better, to begin with, illustrator in the beginning. You can learn to use it with the help of online tutorials or study from a book. Just learn the basics and practice regularly.
- Adobe Photoshop: Next step would be learning to operate Photoshop. Again, you can take help of online tutorials to learn in detail.
These are the most commonly used design tools nowadays and hence you have to be thorough with them. You can also learn other software but only if the need arises.
Prioritize your niche
In the world of graphic design, it is better that you select a particular niche in which you want to specialize. This will enable you to stay focused on the area chosen and not wander aimlessly. You do not have to waste your time learning everything but rather master your skills in a particular area and become unbeatable. Some of the areas that you could try your hands on include:
- Web Design: This is the most popular niche right now and that is why there is a lot of competition. Start with analyzing different websites and try to ascertain how the design varies in each case. Try reading a few good books on this topic and learn everything you can.
- Logo design: If you are thinking logo designing is just about creating logos for a company, then you are deeply mistaken. When someone hires you to design their logo, it means you are in charge of the entire brand identity. In other words, you have to make sure that the logo is able to represent that particular brand appropriately. So, it’s not as easy as it sounds.
- Mobile App Design: This is another popular area that has a high demand these days. But there is a lot of competition and you have to be prepared for everything. Try to read some good books and learn all that you can.